Oil Book: Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas
Author: Chris Termeer
Number of Pages: 318
Paper Size: 8 1/2 x 11 inches (A4)
Number of Illustrations: ~ 250
Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas by Chris Termeer provides an overview of all aspects of the highly complex global oil and gas industry. From the history of oil and how it eventually became one of the most pivotal substances in our global economy to the myriad variety of finished products derived from this invaluable substance.
Highlights of the book include:
- Diagrams, flowcharts, tables and in-the-field photos to help provide contextual understanding of topics covered.
- Discussion of oil and gas exploration, including how hydrocarbons are formed and located.
- Thorough coverage of the actual drilling process, including setup, common problems, monitoring, reservoir analysis and completion techniques etc.
- Description of the oil and gas production phase, broken down by majors stages (Flush, primary, secondary).
- Transportation & storage: how oil and gas are moved from the wellhead to the refinery.
- Introduction to oil refining and gas processing, including a detailed overview of many of the actual finished products and fuels derived from these hydrocarbons.
- Comprehensive glossary
The goal of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas is to demystify the industry by explaining its various aspects in a manner that is understandable to the nontechnical reader. By the time the reader is finished, he or she should have at least a basic understanding of the entire industry. If they wish to delve deeper into any particular subject, the author provides a references for further reading section as many of the book’s topics can take full volumes of books to explain thoroughly.
… See what readers have to say about Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas …
“Chris Termeer’s book “Fundamentals of Investing in Oil And Gas” has something for everyone from the seasoned oilman to the consumer who thinks that gasoline appears magically from the petrol nozzle. I thoroughly enjoyed each chapter of his book starting with his anecdotal coverage of the history of hydrocarbon usage in Chapter 1, which flows smoothly into his discussion of market evaluation in Chapter 2. Here he examines the effects of some of our recent political experiences in the Middle East and goes on to discuss in layman’s terms some of the more technical aspects of market analysis, noting hiccups in the automotive industry that have influenced oil price. Chris’s stimulating discussion of the industry includes how petroleum is found, drilled, extracted, pipe-lined, refined, along with descriptions of tools used to do all of these things as well as events that affect progress along the way. At the risk of repeating myself, I recommend Chris’s book to anyone who has had a hand in finding, has or wants to invest in, or has ever used a petroleum product.”
Must read for oil & gas investors or those just looking to garner some insight into the industry. Overall great content, detailed photos, references, explained in great detail.
- Carl Harris
Despite the technical nature of the oil and gas industry, especially with all the organic chemistry and advanced engineering involved, the book does a great job explaining the subject matter in “laymen’s terms.”